There are 3 main ways to create a work order:
- Create a Work Order from the Customers Tab
- Create a Work Order from the Work Orders Tab
- Create a Work Order from the Calendar Tab
We'll walk you through each of the ways so you can see the benefits of each one.
VIDEO: We'll show you in 5:10.
CREATE A WORK ORDER FROM THE 'WORK ORDERS' TAB
- Click the Work Orders tab in the main navigation bar.
- Click the New Work Order button.
- Enter the Description of the Work Order.
- Select a Customer from the list or, if you'd like to enter a new customer for this work order, click the New Customer link to the upper-right of the customer data box.
- Select the Location where the work is to be done.
- Select the Contact.
- Enter a Detailed Description.
- Optionally select the Equipment to be serviced.
- Enter whether or not the work order is Billable or Non-Billable.
- Select the Address to be billed.
- If you want to link this work order to a Contract, select a contract from the list.
- Select whether you'd like to Notify the Customer of the new work order.
- Click Save.
CREATE A WORK ORDER FROM THE 'CUSTOMERS' TAB
- Click on the Customers tab in the main navigation bar.
- Under the Actions Menu to the right of the customer you'd like to create the work order for, click New Work Order.
- Enter the details, then click Save.
CREATE A WORK ORDER FROM THE 'CALENDAR' TAB
- Click on the Calendar tab in the main navigation bar.
- Select which calendar you'd like to view (Day, Week, Month, or Availability).
- Specify your View Mode as either Individual or Team, to the far right of the page.
- Find the day and the user, click on that block and a New Calendar Event box will appear.
- Enter the Subject, Start Date and Time, End Date and Time, Assigned To, and Customer. Then click New Scheduled Work Order.
- Enter the details, then click Save or Save & Assign.
ADDITIONAL WAYS TO CREATE WORK ORDERS
In addition to the ways mentioned above, Work Orders can also be created in the following ways:
- By sending an email to your BlueFolder account (optional feature not included in all price plans). Email settings are found in Settings > Email.
- Via the Customer Portal (optional feature not included in all price plans). Go to Settings > Customer Portal for more information.
- Via the BlueFolder API (optional feature not incldued in all price plans). For more information, go to Settings > Integration > API.
KEY FIELDS WHEN CREATING A WORK ORDER
You may pick an existing customer from the list or click the 'New Customer' link to create a new customer for the Work Order.
Most jobs have a primary contact person at the customer site. Once you've chosen the customer, the primary contact for the customer will automatically be selected in the contact list. Choose the appropriate contact for the job or click the 'New Contact' link to create a new contact for the Work Order.
Indicates the service location for the job. Once you've chosen the customer, the primary location for the customer will automatically be selected in the list. Choose the location where the job is to be performed or click the 'New Location' link to create a new location for the Work Order.
A required field that briefly identifies (or names) the job that is to be performed for the customer.
A value that is used to determine the current state of the job. This is a customizable field, so if the default values don't work for your company, you may modify the list to match the way you work. There are 2 built-in, non-customizable values: 'New' and 'Closed'.
This field is where you should enter any kind of detailed notes about the problem, or instructions that are critical to the job. This field is virtually unlimited in size and will also be printable on most of the built-in Work Order print-outs.
Use this field when the job must be completed by a specific date. BlueFolder will display a 'Past Due' alert on the 'Company Dashboard' if the Work Order status is not 'Closed' by the due date.
BlueFolder supports non-billable Work Orders, which are useful for tracking jobs that are internal or will not be charged to a customer. Use this field to indicate the billing status for the Work Orders.
BlueFolder allows to specify the address where the Work Orders will be billed to. This can be an address belonging to the customer associated with the Work Order, or even a different customer in the case of 3rd-party billing.
Selecting a contract for a Work Order will associate the work order with the selected contract. Doing so causes new billable items (labor, materials, expenses) to, by default, be marked as billable to the contract.